Well for those who read this you probably already know that my beloved Granny passed away suddenly on Friday at 12:50 PM. She had moved in with my mom about two months ago due to her frailty and mom wanting to spend more time with her. Granny was very lonely and grieving over her second son who died in May of this year. She loved being at mom's and seeing all the babies every day. She spent most of the day sitting on the front porch just watching everything going on in the neighborhood. On Friday she awoke mom around 5 AM and said she wasn't feeling well and that she had a terrible headache. She had taken a pain pill but it hadn't had time to work. Mom helped her to her room,into her chair-she got her a cold washcloth and ran to change her clothes. She new she would be taking her to the doctor as soon as she got ready. She returned to the room about 2-3 minutes later and asked if she felt any better,she turned her head, but she didn't respond. Mom ran downstairs to get dad up and then she ran and called 911. Granny never regained consciousness. She was taken to Blount where the x-rays showed that she had a severe ruptured anuerysm in the base of her brain which had caused a massive stroke. He told mom there was no hope, but he would be glad to transfer her to UT to have a neurologist see her. At this time the family wasn't at Blount yet so mom said she just wasn't ready to say " do nothing" and they put in a breathing tube and prepared her for transfer. We all got to Blount and just from what mom said that the doctor said, I knew that there was no hope for her to make even a small recovery. We all went to UT and we were allowed to go in and see her in ICU. She never responded-we told her we loved her and that she was finally on her way home to be with the family she had longed to see and finally meet the Savior she had faithfully followed for so long. I wasn't prepared for the physical pain I felt. Emotionally I was a wreck, but physically my heart hurt. We waited for Jason and Shannon(Megan's husband) to arrive from work and a few other family members and we went to her beside. They removed her breathing tube at around noon and we talked with her and cried as her heart finally stopped. I personally feel that she had already ascended to heaven that morning even though all the machines were keeping her alive. We new she wouldn't want to live like that and we didn't want it for her either. She died peacefully with all the love in the world surrounding her and I know she experienced a Glorious Homecoming in Heaven. I feel that the Lord said," Well done my good and faithful servant..." She was the most Godly women I know. I think she wished for this day ever since her son died in May. She told my mom in May when Don died that she was glad his suffering was over and she would see him soon. It was almost like she new it was her time next. We miss her dearly and the pain is still so raw. Tears spring forward out of nowhere. Memories resurface in the blink of an eye and I struggle to commit all them to memory so that I and my children will never forget how special she was. So to Granny-your chocolate pie and meatloaf will never be replicated, your thoughtfulness will never be matched, and I strive for even a tenth of your Godliness. Your spirit lives in mom and your grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I know you waited till you felt we all were settled in stable relationships and lives. You got your dream of being reunited with Sheena and your purpose was over. You held us together all these years and for that words cannot express our gratitude. As tears fall, I will end with this, for those with loved ones still around. Hold them, Cherish them, Love them like no tommorrow because there might not be. I love You Margaret Elaine Gillespie Johnston-I have never been so proud to carry your name.
Tuesday, September 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Before you "blog" about other people, maybe you should look at your own past and your mother's REAL past......
Post a Comment